Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Garlicky Brown Rice

My daughter's exams are on and I am one harried mom. Nah, she ain't a 10th or 12th grader - Far from it. But I have slowly realised that even the 5th grade exams are nothing short of a nightmare. Makes me wonder if I went through the same grind back in school. Gotta ask my mom about that! On a random note, I have been completely MIA vis-a-vis my blog. Blame it on my lethargy or a hectic work schedule, my blog's attention deprived. To set that right I am back with a no brainer of a recipe. This rice is a simple but heavenly affair when paired with a gravy that's hot and exciting. Remember the Thai Green Curry dished out by hubby dearest? Well that had to go with something fresh and earthy.  



While on a trip to the super market a few months back, my 'stay healthy' alias went all berserk. Packets of brown rice, millet and soy granules were grabbed off the aisles like no tomorrow and has been languishing ever since. Save for this sporadic recipe, my health bug seems to have scooted off. It reminds me to put more health into my Sunday menu. Coming back to the brown rice,  I was pleasantly surprised that the rice was well received by family. This rice is power packed with nutrients and beats the white rice hands on. I pressure cooked the rice giving it 2 whistles. The rice came cooked just right - fluffy and not mushy



The recipe can be tweaked to suit your palate. You can add whole spices or your choice of veggies too !



What's in it :-
  • Brown Rice - 1 cup
  • Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
  • Garlic - 15 pods - sliced
  • Green Pepper - 1 sliced
  • Mint leaves - a small bunch (chopped)
  • Soy Sauce - A dash - for the flavour
  • Pepper powder - 2 tbsp
  • Salt - to taste

Here's How:-

Cook the brown rice as per instructions in the pack. In a separate kadai, add olive oil and as it warms up, tip in the sliced garlic and saute till the raw smell goes. Add the mint leaves and give it a good swirl. Add the soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Finally add the cooked rice and mix well. Serve hot with your choice of gravy or other accompaniments. I served it with Thai Green Curry.

E.N.J.O.Y !

8 comments:

  1. flavourful rice and the pot looks too good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could do with a bowlful right about now :) looks smashing yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious and lovely looking rice. Excellent to look at.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garlic in anything is my fav, rice looks flavourful..Finally u r done with the exams, now enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow ! super, mouth watering here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely made,Simple & healthy!
    www.sailajakitchen.org

    ReplyDelete
  7. Healthy and flavorful rice.. yummy!!

    ReplyDelete